NEW -  Important Information for Investigators with International Collaborations

General Information about the Office of Sponsored Programs

OSP is committed to providing a variety of training workshops, labs, and outreach programs. The Events and Training section in the OSP page lists current and past workshops with corresponding training materials (where applicable), as well as links to other learning resources.

The News page provides a central repository for updates and policy changes at OSP as well as other issues that may pertain to research activities at RFSUNY/SBU.

Documentation would consist of letters from your collaborators acknowledging their participation on the project. Use of outside facilities, equipment or other resources require a letter from the person at that facility who is authorized to make such a commitment.

It depends on department and college requirements. If such an arrangement is required or permitted, it is recommended that the PI provide the Chair or Dean with written or emailed approval to submit the proposal under the PI's name (with a copy to OSP for records).

AskOSP will allow you to write your own question and you will receive an answer within two business days.

Please include the following in your email:

  • Your name
  • Your email address
  • Your phone number
  • The priority level of your question (Urgent/Important/Informational)
  • Your question
Faculty should discuss potential commitment of university resources with OSP prior to submission of a proposal. Typically, faculty are not authorized to commit university resources in a contractual arrangement. University officials such as Chairs, Deans, Vice Presidents, the Provost and the President have the ability to commit resources but any such commitment for a sponsored project must be approved by the university officials and submitted to the sponsor through OSP.
The authorization to sign proposals, awards, and other non-financial official documents related to sponsored programs is vested in the Director, Grants, Contracts and Clinical Trials Administrators within OSP. Researchers should not sign any documents as the authorized university signatory.
A sponsored project is defined as an activity that is sponsored, or funded, by an external organization, such as a federal, state, or private organization or agency to conduct research, training, educational activities, and public service projects which requires some kind of deliverable (a technical report, a financial report, milestones, etc.).

OSP contacts are listed here.

OSP's administrative structure divides the OSP staff into teams, Grants, Contracts and Clinical Trials Administrators. The Grants Administrators will assist primarily with review and the submission and administrative management of grant proposals. The Contracts Administrators will assist with negotiating of contracts, subawards, and most cooperative agreements. Clinical Trials Administrators are responsible for reviewing, negotiating and legally executing clinical trial agreements from external funding sources.
OSP is the coordinating office for external research funding. The Office assists faculty with proposal submissions for funding, negotiates and accepts awards. OSP also sets up awards, processes extensions, budget revisions and assists with other administrative matters.

Developing, Preparing and Submitting a Proposal

Faculty can develop searches and receive e-mailed listings of award opportunities from several sources. Contact Office of Research Development and Assessment for assistance in finding funding opportunities, information or review the information on external funding. 

It is mandatory that all applications are routed through myResearch Grants and OSP review/approval at proposal stage. If you receive an award letter/agreement without the mandatory routing process, expect a delay in processing as you would have to route a copy of the proposal and budget via myResearch Grants. OSP will have to review the submission and the award documentation for compliance with university rules. If the proposal is not compliant, OSP will contact the sponsor to make any necessary revisions to the proposal in coordination with the Principal Investigator.

Most department Chairs and Deans delegate signature authority when they are out of the office. If a designee is not available, discuss the situation with your OSP contact.

Your Chair and Dean are required to sign off on the proposal so that they are aware of the research and sponsored activity taking place in their department and college; their signatures are obtained via COEUS. Additionally, the Chair and the Dean are permitted to commit university resources to the proposal if required. Their signatures authorizing such commitments are necessary for the university's records.

It depends on the sponsor; different sponsors use different electronic systems. Most systems require data and files related to the proposal to be uploaded into the sponsor's system, either through use of a sponsor-created software package, or through the World Wide Web. Your OSP representative will assist you with the submission.

No, all proposals to external funding agencies must be reviewed and authorized by OSP before they can be submitted to a sponsor.

Any proposal that requires an authorized university signature and involves a project that commits university resources, proposes deliverables (technical report, financial report, etc.), requires a budget, involves a subrecipient, and involves compliance such as human subjects, animal subjects, radiation, or biohazards. Contact your OSP representative if you have questions about whether your proposal should be submitted through OSP.

Yes, OSP will require a complete copy of your proposal application prior to signing, submitting or authorizing submission. Your COEUS submission will also have to be approved.

Your OSP representative can assist you with interpreting proposal guidelines.

OSP provides worksheets and templates on its website to assist you in this process.

Usually, OSP representatives will review and sign the final proposal. Hard copy proposals may also require the Principal Investigator (PI)'s signature. Some electronic systems will permit the PI to submit the final version of the proposal, which the PI should not submit without OSP authorization. A final copy of the proposal must always be provided to OSP. Your OSP representative should be able to determine who will need to be the final signer and submitter of the proposal.

Any sponsor forms related to the proposal submission - cover pages, budget pages, project abstract, representations and certifications, etc. are required. Additionally, the university utilizes myResearch Grants to obtain information about your proposal. If you have subrecipients on your proposal, OSP will also need a copy of the subrecipients' statement of work and budget, budget justification, and the Subrecipient letter of commitment form. In myResearch Grants you will need to load your budget, budget justification, abstract, resource and facilities statement. 

Our Clinical Trials link provides ample information regarding the clinical trial submission process. The Office of Clinical Trials (OCT) provides pre award budgetary functions for clinical trials.

The Institutional Information Fact Sheet contains helpful information about the RFSUNY/SBU as well as frequently used rates and figures used in sponsored research activities.

Information pretaining to sponsor held limits on proposals from universities may be found on this page.


Fringe benefits are retirement and health insurance benefits associated with salaries. Medicaid and workers compensation are also included in fringe benefits. For current rates visit this page.

Faculty may cost share a portion of their effort if they are not 100% committed to teaching and other academic duties. In addition, third parties can provide cost sharing. The researchers should obtain a letter from the third party on letterhead from an authorized official that indicates that party will provide cost sharing in the amount that is required. The PI can also request cost sharing from the department or college.

Cost sharing is the provision of internal university funds or third party funds in support of a project funded by a sponsor. Most sponsors do not require cost sharing; if it is not required, you should not provide cost sharing as part of your budget.

If the sponsor requires cost sharing, you can cost share in two ways - cash or in-kind. A cash match is a match of dollars. An in-kind match is a match of services. Typically, faculty will provide in-kind cost sharing through donation of their effort.

Faculty must be cautious not to over-commit effort. Faculty are not permitted to work more than 100% of their time (except in limited circumstances). All cost-shared effort donated to sponsored activity must fit into the 100% available. Generally, faculty cannot commit more than 25%.

A faculty buyout occurs when effort is conducted during the academic term and charged to a research grant or contract. Consequently academic term salaries shall not be augmented either in rate or in total amount for research performed during the academic term. When part of a faculty member’s services are to be charged as project costs, it is expected that the faculty member will be relieved of an equal part or all of his or her regular teaching or other obligations.
Summer salary is compensation paid to academic appointed faculty that perform research on a grant or contract during the summer months of May, June, July, and August. For grant and contract funded research, Summer Salary is limited to 3 months (SBU’s academic year is generally 9 months). To calculate summer salary simply divide your academic year salary by 9 and then multiply it by 3 (or the portion of the summer available to you after teaching, other duties, and/or vacation time have been accounted for). Please note that certain external sponsors may have their own policies regarding summer salary payments to faculty and/or principal investigators.
Principal Investigators should include salary and fringe benefits in the proposal for effort that they will apply to the project unless it is prohibited by the sponsor. The salary can be paid by the sponsor or can be donated by the university (cost-sharing). PIs typically must obtain Chair and Dean approval for cost shared salary. SOM personnel can only cost share 5% of their time at any given time.

To develop your own budget, you should consider including the following line items which are included in most budgets:

  • Salaries and Wages
  • Fringe Benefits
  • Materials and Supplies
  • Equipment
  • Travel
  • Other Direct Costs (includes subrecipient and services agreements)
  • Facilities and Administrative Costs

For the development of most sponsor budgets, you can use one of the templates on OSP's website to assist in developing the budget. See this link for budget forms. OSP will review your budget prior to submission to the sponsor to ensure compliance with sponsor, university, and RFSUNY’s requirements. Some departments are staffed with a research coordinator or Departmental Administrator who can provide support in proposal preparation.

Sponsored research projects are considered “on campus” if they reside in any building or on any property owned by the university and the majority of project effort is expended at that site, no matter the location. Such projects must apply the “on campus” F&A rate to their budget and expenditures.
Yes, generally F&A should be applied to all sponsored projects. Nevertheless, there are a couple of exceptions to this rule. If the sponsor has a written policy that restricts the rate to a lower percentage than the university's negotiated rate, please notify OSP. OSP will review the sponsor's policy and will make a determination on the use of the sponsor's rate.

The RFSUNY/SBU negotiates a Facilities and Administration rate agreement that provides the rate to be charged depending on the type of sponsored project. RFSUNY/SBU’s Cognizant Office is DHHS.

F&A stands for Facilities & Administrative costs (sometimes called IDC, Indirect Costs). These are actual costs incurred by the university in support of sponsored activities that cannot be identified readily and specifically to a project. The rate used by RFSUNY/SBU is negotiated with the federal government. Among other expenses, it includes the cost of departmental and central administrative support, building and equipment use, and library services.


myResearch Grants is


Under General Information, Proposal Description & Contacts screen, see questions 3.0 & 4.0 Departmental Research Coordinator and Departmental Administrative Contact - Staff chosen for these questions will have edit access rights to the proposal. If the proposal is created by the PI, he/she can add a study coordinator or departmental administrator here. NOTE: Do not list OSP staff or Co-PIs.

7.0 Select team members that have EDIT rights - Select SBU users that can edit the proposal, budget, and SF424. These users can be co-PIs or other project personnel named in the proposal. They will not receive any email notifications from the Grants module. NOTE: You are NOT required to add anyone to this section. If you are filling this out for a PI (not yourself), fill out this section with your name before saving and/or moving to the next page.

8.0 Select team members that have READ only rights - Select SBU users that have view-only rights to the proposal, budget, and SF424. These users will not receive any email notifications from the Grants module. NOTE: You are NOT required to add anyone to this section.


Select Copy from the menu My Current Actions located on the left side of the screen. This allows you to make an exact copy of an existing proposal.

1. Type in the name of your new proposal

2. Click OK.

3. Once the proposal workspace refreshes, scroll down to the History tab and click the new funding proposal number (link).

4. The new proposal will appear as a Draft with many of the smart forms already completed.

NOTE: The SF424 application will NOT copy over and will need to be recreated.


A proposals may be deleted, as long as they are still in draft status. Once they have entered the approval chain, only OSP can delete it. 

If you say "Yes" to one of the compliance questions and do not yet have a Log # and date, click the Pending box.
The system accommodates any type of uploads, such as DOC, EXL, PDF.
There are various proposal roles in the system with the top one being aggregator. The person who creates the proposal is automatically given this status. It is important that you also grant this type of access to the project PI, your sponsored programs representative and any co-I or key person that will need to certify the proposal. Check with your department to see if they mandate that anyone be added as aggregators. There are also viewer roles that only allow people to review the material but not make any changes.
NOTE: There may be instances when it will be necessary to add a Department/Center/Institute to the Credit Split, however the PI assumes responsibilities and should never add additional departments and remove their department for the purpose of circumventing campus approvals. Click the Add button → Type in the Department/Center/Institute into the box or click Select and select the Department/Center/Institute from the popup box, scroll down and select OK.

Attach your Abstract/SOW, Facilities Statement, and Budget Justification or a full copy of your proposal, as appropriate. For a clinical trial upload your Protocol, Informed Consent Form (ICF), Final Approved Budget and Facilities Statement. Note that for clinical trials, the ICF and Facilities Statement are not mandatory documents.


Go to the front page of your Funding Proposal Select Credit Routing Information located to the right of History The page will list Current Pending Reviewers; these are the people that are currently approving the funding proposal. At the bottom of the page is All Reviewers; these are all the people who have previously approved, are pending approval, or who have yet to receive the funding proposal to approve. The column, Reviewer, lists all the people involved in reviewing this funding proposal. The column, Reviewing for Organization(s), lists the Department, School and/or Provost the reviewer is reviewing for. The column, Waiting On, tells you who that person is waiting on to approve the funding proposal before it comes to their stage. The column, Reviewer Result, will tell you the status of the person (example: waiting for approval, approved, etc). If the approver wrote any comments in when they approved, you will see them in the column Comments. If the reviewer attached any documents when they approved the funding proposal, they will be accessible from the column Attachments.

In myResearch Grants, the PI submits the funding proposal for routing. The next approval will be that of all Chairs/Deans. CoPIs will only receive a notification and will be able to review or comment on the submitted proposal.

Once the PI submits the funding proposal for routing, the status in myResearch Grants will show as Department Review regardless if it is at the Chair, Dean or Provost levels.

At any time during routing, the PI can press the Recall button for a revision and this will bring the funding proposal out of Departmental Review.

If you have a joint appointment or unique situation, it is your responsibility to make sure that the departments/centers/institutes listed on the Credit Distribution screen are correct.

There is a training manual and video clips on how to submit and approve a proposal on the myResearch Grants web site, as well as hands on training. To register for one of our upcoming trainings complete the form at this link.

If you are the lead approver for your department as well as the PI on the proposal, yes, you are able to approve the proposal.

To complete the credit distribution, click on ‘Credit Distribution’ on the left side menu of your Funding Proposal workspace in myResearch Grants.

All Senior and Key personnel added on the Funding Proposal appear on the Credit Distribution.

In the Proposal Credit column, assign Credit % that appropriately represents each person’s contribution to the project. The total of assigned Credit must equal 100%.

Next, assign the credit between the Department(s)/Center(s) displayed for each PI/co-PI/Senior Person/Key Person under both Financial Credit and Recognition Credit. A PI/co-PI/Senior Person/Key Person can have more than one Department they are assigned to receiving credit. Both columns when completed must total to 100% for each individual. NOTE: The Financial Credit for each PI/co-PI/Senior Person/Key Person can be different than their Recognition Credit but both must total 100% for the proposal. Even if 0% financial credit is desired for an individual, the Unit Total for that PI/co-PI/Senior Person/Key Person must still equal 100%. 

There may be instances when it will be necessary to add a Department/Center/Institute to the Credit Split, however the PI assumes responsibilities and should never add additional departments and remove their department for the purpose of circumventing campus approvals.

Credit Distribution Definitions

Proposal Credit

Percentage credit that represents the distribution of each person’s overall responsibility for the successful performance of the project.

Financial Credit

For each individual, this represents the percentage that each listed unit’s resources will be utilized for the project.

Recognition Credit

For each individual, this represents the percentage that each listed unit contributes intellectually/academically to the project.

To log on to myResearch portal you will need to use your NetID and password.  If you do not know your password it can be updated through the SOLAR system.


Deliver the check to the Office of Grants Management for deposit. (Do not send the check by campus mail.)

No. The Research Foundation rules require that OSP accept awards on behalf of the university.
Contracts and Clinical Trials Administrators are responsible for reviewing, negotiating, and accepting awards on behalf of the university. Awards are thoroughly reviewed to make sure that the university can legally comply with the terms and conditions, and that those terms and conditions do not place unnecessary risk or burden on the university. Most agreements are held up when an industry sponsor has a rigid Intellectual Property position. These delays are often resolved through explanation of our limitations that govern property rights to IP generated from sponsored research.

The process for finalizing a contract may be brief or lengthy, depending on the complexity of the project to be sponsored and what the sponsor expects to obtain for its support. If a non-federal sponsor accepts RFSUNY/SBU's standard agreement without modification, obtaining the signed contract may take a few weeks.

The process of establishing a contract will begin in the OSP with your assigned Contract or Clinical Trials Administrator. Your CA/CTA will collect the necessary forms and information and will work with you and the sponsor to negotiate and finalize the Agreement.
It is your responsibility to coordinate such paperwork with the Office of Grants Management. Your departmental Research Administrator might be able to provide assistance in preparation of any paperwork associated with your project.
Usually, the Office of Grants Management will prepare financial reports required by the sponsor. In unusual cases, you may be asked to assist with the preparation of the reports, especially if receipts for expenditures are required or when the reporting documentation is extensive. Additionally, sponsors sometimes would like a copy of the technical report to be sent with the financial report. You will be contacted to coordinate submission of the financial report with your technical report in those cases.
When an award has been issued and received by OSP, it is ready to receive an account number. This process will be completed by the Account Establishment Unit. Once this account is set up you will be notified by email.
An advanced account is an account that can be set up for you prior to receipt of your award. Discuss your options with your OSP representative.

The funding agency will contact you and/or the OSP representative once an award is made or is going to be made. If the notice of award is sent directly to the PI, the PI should forward the notice to OSP. In case of contracts or clinical trials, Principal Investigators will have to either review and provide consent to proceed with the signature process, or will be asked to sign “Read and understood”.

Should you receive the award directly from the sponsor, deliver it to OSP for review and signature, as required. The Account Establishment Unit shall set up your internal account number.

If you have been notified by the sponsor that an award is imminent, let OSP know. There is a process to set up an advanced account for many types of awards so you can begin spending in advance of the receipt of the award. It is important to know the intended start date of the award so that spending does not occur prior to this date.

Compliance Issues

Export controls are federal regulations that regulate the transfer/shipment of items/information out of the U.S. as well as the transfer of information within the U.S.   Visit the university's export control website for more detailed information.  If you think that you have an export control issue, have questions, or would like further training you may contact Susan Gasparo, Assistant Director, Research Compliance at susan.gasparo@stonybrook.edu.

Subrecipients (Pre/Post Award)

Performance and completion of a designated portion of project objectives executed by an organization other than Stony Brook.
A vendor provides a commercial item like paper, or a service, such as maintenance services for copiers. Vendor agreements are handled by the Procurement Office. A subrecipient, on the other hand, participates in the research by contributing to the development of the research and has an impact on the direction of the research. A subrecipient is a participant and collaborator in the project, unlike a vendor.
You will need a statement of work and budget to document their costing. Depending on the sponsor and the nature of the award, you may need to obtain detailed costing information from the subrecipient. This is particularly true in the case of subcontracts under prime agreements with Federal Acquisition Regulation clauses.

You would reference subrecipient by name in both your statement of work (and describe their activities) and in your budget, under either Subrecipients or Other Direct Costs and in your budget justification. Your subrecipients should also submit a Subrecipient commitment form, a statement of work, a budget, and justficiation.

The Principal Investigator is responsible for monitoring subrecipients' performance of the work they agreed to perform. In addition, the Principal Investigator shall work with the Office of Grants Management in reviewing and approving all subrecipient invoices for correct billing, including any required cost-sharing. The PI is also responsible for insuring the subrecipient submits all deliverables and technical reports as required under the subrecipient agreement.

Post Award Issues - Extensions, Revised Budgets, Award Transfers

In many cases you may transfer your award. Discuss transfer with your department chair and if s/he approves the transfer, contact OSP. OSP will review sponsor requirements for the transfer process. You should finalize all expenditures on the project if transfer is approved. Additionally, if you anticipate transferring equipment or data, please let OGM know the details. You must let Inventory know if you are transferring equipment so that inventory can be updated.

You should review your award terms and conditions to determine the appropriate process for requesting changes to your award budget. If a sponsor approval is required, submit your rebudget request to your OSP representative together with the Institutional and /or Sponsor Approval Request Form with a justification of the proposed changes. OSP will forward the request to the sponsor. Upon receipt of sponsor approval, OSP will update the budget in the university's accounting system.

Provide your OSP representative with an Institutional and/or Sponsor Approval Request Form. You will need to provide a justification of why the extension is necessary. (Spending out the account is not a valid reason to extend a project.) OSP will submit the request to the sponsor and update the end date if the extension is approved

Conflict of Interest

You should: 

(1)  Make sure your disclosures are up to date; and

(2)  Contact the Conflict of Interest Administrator in the Office of Research Compliance if you have any questions.

Disclosure is another term for an external interest or commitment that is entered into myResearch COI

Certification is the activity of reporting whether or not you hold any external interest or commitment in myResearch COI

  • Annual Certifications are due annually by May 1st

When Is It Required to Report a Change in External Interest or Commitment?

  • Within thirty (30) days of discovering or acquiring a new external interest or commitment.
  • At the time of establishing a faculty owned company.
  • At the request of the DIO, where new external interests or commitments have come to the attention of the DIO.
  • Travel must be disclosed within thirty (30) days of said travel. Alternatively, travel that is anticipated can be disclosed anytime in advance and would satisfy the thirty (30) day requirement.

The University uses the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) web-based program to meet our training needs.

Select "SUNY - University at Stony Brook" as your institution and then use your NetID and password.

Community and Research Participants

If you decided to volunteer in a research study, the facts of the study will be given to you in a consent form.  This is to help you understand exactly what will happen to you in the research study.  It is designed to help you make up your mind about whether or not you would like to participate in the study.  The informed consent will outline all the rights you have as a volunteer in the study. 

Giving a research subject a consent form to read is a helpful process because it gives the volunteer enough time to ask as many questions he/she want to about his/her voluntary participation in the study.  The participant will be told about all the risks, any benefits that may exist, and even alternative options to the study. 

After reading the consent the individual can make his/her final decision about participating in the proposed study.


The Institutional Review Board (IRB) is made up of a group of people such as scientists, doctors and some community people.  The IRB looks at every protocol or research study before it is conducted on any people. Because some research studies involve risk, the IRB looks at the study to make sure the risks are justified and minimized.  In addition, the IRB wants to make sure  the Principal Investigator follows all the rules the federal government has set up to protect human subjects who so kindly volunteer to participate in a research study.

The PI, or Principal Investigator, is the person who conducts the research study. The PI is also the person who is responsible for making sure everything is done properly. Along with the PI, there may be other persons who help with the study.  For example, if it is a medical study, there may be a nurse involved in conducting the study.  There are also people who look at all the data that is collected in the study and other individuals involved in operating the study.

Each study has a list of who can and cannot be included in that study.  This is written in the protocol.  In order to protect research subjects only people who qualify can be in the study. 

All research studies follow protocol.  Protocol is like a cookbook: it tells the researcher what can and cannot be done when he/she is conducting the study.  All this is done to protect the research subject and this protocol is reviewed by the Institutional Review Board (IRB).

A research subject is a person who decides to participate in a research study.  This is completely voluntary.  You are helping the researcher look at the questions he/she wants to study.  You can quit the study any time you want to. 

Managing Your Grant

Account Directors and Account Assistants cannot see their signatures.

The ability to see signatures is only available to the business office.

Graduate Research Assistants are eligible for tuition remission. Policy may be found at this site.

There are two methods of payment for subject cost.

a) The subject participates in a research project and he/she may be paid directly through the Procurement process once they complete their participation in the research study. The mechanism for payment is completed through submission of a Purchase Requisition along with a completed Human Subjects Payment Form (HSP) Once completed, both documents are to be submitted to the Office of Grants Management for processing.

The Procurement Office website is located at the following link: http://www.stonybrook.edu/procurement/

To locate Procurement Forms, please use the following link: http://naples.cc.sunysb.edu/Admin/HRSForms.nsf/proc/

The Requisition Form is located at the following link: http://naples.cc.sunysb.edu/Admin/HRSForms.nsf/f232d3967f29b79d85256e160...


b) The P.I. may also request a Cash Advance for a specific dollar amount to pay for study participants directly. This is accomplished by submitting a Purchase Requisition detailing the amount of funds requested along with a justification that approximates how many subjects are to be seen for which research project and what each subject will receive. When a cash advance is processed, an extra $1.00 is added to the P.O. (Purchase Order) This extra dollar will keep the P.O. open until the cash advance is reconciled. 

Cash advances are available to project directors under certain conditions to aid in the conduct of their grant activities. Advances can be used for field trip expenses, human subject payments and the purchase of materials and supplies. Funds can be advanced to cover anticipated needs for up to a 90 day period and must be reconciled (accounted for) with original receipts within that time frame. To be eligible for these funds PD's must take personal responsibility for their use in accordance with sponsor guidelines.

a) You will need to complete the appropriate Payroll Form that is available at the Human Resources website at the following link:


b) Right Click the Forms and Publications Area of the webpage

c) Right Click the Appointment/Change Form Category from the list appearing on the page. You will require either the Employee Appointment Form or the Employee Change Form. The appointment form is used for a first time appointment to an RF project, task and award. The change form is used subsequently once the original appointment to an RF funded project is made. I.E. a change in charging instructions / project, task and award information, labor distribution end date.

For questions pertaining to the appropriate classification of the employee, I.E. Regular Exempt, Regular Non Exempt, Salary and Wages Grad Exempt or Non Exempt, please contact the HR Payroll Service directly. Their contact information is available at the following webpage:


For specific instructions on relating to completing the payroll form/s please contact your Grants Management Specialist. The Office of Grants Management may be reached at 631-632-9308. You will be directed to the appropriate Grants Management Specialist who handles your department.

The request must be made within 60 days of the effective date of your appointment. The sponsor must allow the expenditure(s). Funds must be available to cover the expenditure(s). The items moved must be household and personal goods. The distance between old and new place of employment must meet IRS standards. Total reimbursement for all moving expenses may not exceed 12,000 lbs. For more information see: 

• IRS requirements for moving expenses are contained in Section 132 of the Internal Revenue Code

• IRS Publication 521 -- Moving Expenses -- contains the information required when preparing tax returns.

• Moving Expense Reimbursement Guidelines

• Moving Expenses: Requesting and Processing Reimbursements

The link below will provide you with the Fringe Benefit Rates for the various types of RF Employee's [Regular, Grad Student, Undergrad, Summer only, and SUNY Employee]. 


A WolfMart Requester is an individual appointed by their department to assist in the purchasing of items through the WolfMart system. Requesters do not have the authority to approve orders, but have the ability to search for items and also complete accounting information when creating the requisition. The Requester must submit the requisition to the Approver for final review and completion of the requisition.

Research Foundation funded reimbursements must use the RF Independent Contractor Services Form and complete the travel section of the form. Original receipts are required. Consultants may only be reimbursed for their actual receipted meal expenses. They cannot claim the diem that is allowed employees and must have actual receipted expenses.

Being reimbursed with RF funds must use the Travel Voucher

RF funded reimbursements must use the RF Independent Contractor/Lecturer Services form (PROC0012) and complete the travel section of the form. Original receipts required. 


An electronic signatory system has been implemented that will make it easier for you to update your 

Delegates without the need to send in a signature form. Please click on the link below to access the 

Electronic Record of Authorized Signatures (ERAS) website. This link will also provide you with ERAS 

frequently asked questions. http://www.stonybrook.edu/eras/

How do I add a Signatory Delegate?ERAS - Electronic Record of Authorized Signatures

1. Obtain the SBID's or NetID's of your Delegates.

2. Log on to E-RAS.

3. Click on the account number that you wish to add a Delegate to.

4. Click on the Add/Remove button.

5. Fill-in the Level of Authority if necessary.

6. Repeat for each of your Delegates.

7. Click on the Done button.

8. Click on the Save and Confirm button at the top of the screen

To place an order, please log onto Stony Brook University's Wolfmart website. Link below.


Each Signatory Delegate has an accompanying Level of Authority field where Account Directors can specify the limitation of the user's access.

Significant obligations are unpaid positions held as an officer, trustee, director, employee or consultant for a for-profit or not-for-profit entity, that would reasonably appear to directly and significantly affect (i.e., have a relevant and consequential effect on)  the work proposed for funding external and selected internal funding.

Click here for detailed instructions on viewing and searching for AES Reports.

Effort Certification and Reporting Technology (ECRT)

All Principal Investigators are required to certify the effort on their sponsored project for all individuals whose salaries are charged directly to their federal and federal flow-through award or for effort identified as cost share.   If you do not certify your effort statement, you will not be in compliance with OMB Circular A-21. The university is then at risk of losing existing and future funding from sponsoring agencies

The Principal Investigator or a designee must effort certify for individuals with salary charges on their federal or federal flow-thru sponsored funded grants. 

An effort report will be generated for any employee whose salary or any portion of salary is charged to a federally sponsored award, including federal flow-through funds, and for any employees with a cost sharing commitment associated with a federal or federal flow-through fund. If effort was committed on a sponsored project charged to a federal or federal flow-through fund, the report must be certified.

Effort reporting is required by OMB Circular A-21 which requires certification of effort spend by all employees whose salaries are charged directly to federal and federal flow-through funds, as well as for reporting cost sharing associated with those awards.  

ECRT is The Research Foundation for SUNY’s online effort reporting tool that is used by Principal Investigator’s or their designees to facilitate effort certification.  ECRT training and resources are available on the effort reporting website.  

Effort reporting is the method of certifying to the federal granting agencies that the effort required as a condition of the award has actually been completed. 

An effort statement may display a total effort percentage in the range of 98.00 – 102.00 percent due to the manner in which ECRT handles rounding. This is acceptable and compliant as this is a tolerable range.  If a statement indicates a total percentage outside of that range, please contact the ECRT team at effortreporting @stonybrook.edu

If you have any question regarding the information on your effort statement, please contact the ECRT team at effort reporting@stonybrook.edu or call 632-6038.

Your username and password are the same as your Stony Brook University Single Sign-On NetID and password. 

If you do not know your NetID or password or need to reset it, please click on this link

Recommended browsers are listed below in the order of best user experience:

  • Latest version of Firefox
  • Latest version of Google Chrome
  • Latest version of Safari for Mac computers
  • Internet Explorer 9

NOTE:  If using Internet Explorer, it is best to run it in Compatibility view.

ECRT is accessible at the following link:  www.rfsuny.org/ecrt  

You will be notified via email when the certification period begins and the date by which the certification must be completed.  

You are required to certify effort three times per year during your active project.  At the end of the spring, summer and fall semesters.    

Using your Funding

Accounts are automatically suspended if they have not been confirmed for a year or longer. Look for the accounts that have been identified as suspended and confirm that the Delegate information is accurate by:

  1. Clicking on an account number.
  2. If you do not need to make any changes to your Delegates, click on the Save and Confirm button.

No. Account Directors automatically have signatory authority.

Please make sure that the SBID of the Delegate is correct and that the person is still active at Stony Brook. If the person is no longer active at SB, you must delete the Delegate by erasing the person's SBID.

Note: You cannot submit any account changes until all SBIDs are shown as valid.

If you are certain that an SBID entered is valid, but E-RAS is showing it as invalid, please contact the Documents section in the Procurement Office at (631) 632-0025 for assistance.

Leaving the Level of Authority field that is next to the delegate's name empty or typing in the word 'Full' is equivalent to granting full authority to that delegate. Full authority authorizes your delegate to commit or spend account funds on (This is not an exhaustive list.):

  • Cash Payment Vouchers (CPV)
  • Personnel forms
  • Purchase Requisitions

Each Signatory Delegate has an accompanying Level of Authority field where Account Directors can specify the limitation of the delegate's access. If this field is left empty, full authority is assumed. Otherwise, authority will be limited to whatever you type in the Level of Authority field.

A Report Recipient is an individual designated by the Account Director or Account Assistant to have access to view monthly account expenditure summary reports.

Account Directors automatically have access to these reports.

A Signatory Delegate is an individual appointed by the Account Director, or Account Assistant, and has the authority to commit or spend account funds on behalf of the Account Director. Signatory Delegates can be granted full or limited authority over account funds.

In E-RAS, the Signatory Delegate role will not grant access to see any account information. Only Account Directors and/or Account Assistants will be able to log-in to view account information.

For WolfMart access, Signatory Delegates must be specifically designated as authorized in order to approve WolfMart orders.

An Account Assistant is an individual appointed by the Account Director. Once appointed has the authority to act on behalf of the Account Director to assign Signatory Delegates and additional Account Assistants. Account Assistants do not have the authority to commit or spend account funds unless they are also designated as a Signatory Delegate.

An Account Director has primary authority to commit and spend account funds. Only the Account Director can delegate authority to Account Assistants and Signatory Delegates.

No, since E-RAS is a university database only one form needs to be submitted to Procurement, Zip=6000. It will appear on all your accounts.

It is strongly recommended that Account Directors use E-RAS instead of submitting paper account change forms. Effective October 1, 2009 paper forms will no longer be sent to Account Directors when a new RF account is created.

You are not listed as the Account Director or an Account Assistant on the State, RF, SBF, or CPMP account. 

If you believe this is incorrect, please contact:

For State Accounts: Accounting Services at (631) 632-6040
For RF Project Accounts: Office of Grants Management at (631) 632-4886
For SBF Accounts: Stony Brook Foundation Business Office at (631) 632-6536 For CPMP Accounts: Lisa Layton at (631) 444-3593

Changes made by any of the offices above will be reflected in E-RAS on the following day.

  1. Obtain the SBID's or NetID's of your Delegates.
  2. Log on to E-RAS.
  3. Click on the account number that you wish to add a Delegate to.
  4. Click on the Add/Remove button.
  5. Fill-in the Level of Authority if necessary.
  6. Repeat for each of your Delegates.
  7. Click on the Done button.
  8. Click on the Save and Confirm button at the top of the screen.

Find the log on link on the E-RAS home page. You must have a NetID.

  1. Click on the Add/Remove button.
  2. Click on the Remove button next to the Delegate you wish to remove.
  3. Click on the Done button.
  4. Click on the Save and Confirm button at the top of the screen.
  1. Click on an account number.
  2. If you do not need to make any changes to your Delegates, click on the Save and Confirm button.
  1. Click on an account number.
  2. Go to the 'Other Account Users' section.
  3. Click on the Add/Remove button.
  4. Fill-in the Account Assistant SBID or NetID.
  5. Repeat for each of your Account Assistants.
  6. Click on the Done button.
  7. Click on the Save and Confirm button at the top of the screen.

Once the Account Director designates someone as an Account Assistant, that individual can add Signatory Delegates on behalf of the Account Director.

Account Directors and account descriptions can only be changed on request.

Please follow the procedures below to request these changes:

For State Accounts:

Please contact your VP Coordinator for changes to the Account Director and/or account description. The VP Coordinator will communicate the changes to the Accounting Office.

For Research Accounts:

As the E-RAS online system is only intended to Delegate authorized signatories, and not for the purpose of changing Account Directors or account descriptions, to initiate those changes please contact your Grant/Contract Administrator in the Office of Sponsored Programs at (631) 632-9949. To find your OSP Administrator click on this link.

For Stony Brook Foundation Accounts:

Please contact the Stony Brook Foundation Business Office for changes to the Account Director and/or account description.

View the forms to change Account Signatures and Account Assistants.

For CPMP Accounts

Please contact Lisa Layton for changes to the Account Director and/or account description.

  1. Click on an account number.
  2. Go to the 'Other Account Users' section.
  3. Click on the Add/Remove button.
  4. Fill-in the WolfMart Requester's SBID or NetID.
  5. Repeat for each of your WolfMart Requesters.
  6. Click on the Done button.
  7. Click on the Save and Confirm button at the top of the screen.

Licensing and Patenting

You should disclose to OTLIR before your invention has been published or publicly presented. If you disclose an invention to OTLIR after it has been published or publicly presented, there is no longer an opportunity to obtain patent rights outside the US. The opportunity to obtain patent rights in the US ends on the first anniversary of the date of the first publication describing the invention.

The policy on Intellectual Property states the University is sole owner of all intellectual property created through the use of University resources or facilities, supported directly or indirectly by funds administered by the University, developed within the scope of employment by University employees or agreed in writing to be a specially commissioned work.  Exceptions to this ownership right are regular academic work product, work created solely for the purpose of satisfying a course requirement, work covered by a contractual agreement and work resulting from outside consulting activities.

Intellectual property (IP) is a legal concept that includes copyrights, trademarks, patents, and related rights, such as know-how.  Under intellectual property law, the holder of one of these abstract “properties” has certain exclusive rights to the creative work, commercial symbol, or invention which is covered by it.

It is to the benefit of the university, the company and the inventors to ensure the new company is prepared to advance the technology to market in terms of technical, management, and financial capabilities and resources of the company.  To this end, the OTLIR requires that the startup provide a development plan outlining the management team, products/services it plans to advance to market, development plan for the products/services and financing strategy as well as a high level business model for the new company, in order to secure a license agreement.  The plan may be utilized during the negotiation to determine development milestones and develop the financial framework of the deal.  

The process of starting a company begins with disclosing the technology to the OTLIR. The team at the OTLIR will review the technology to determine if the invention is patentable, identify potential products or services based on the technology and determine the market for the technology.  In considering whether the technology is suitable for a startup, we review the commercialization path of the technology, the nature of the technology (eg, platform, disruptive, etc), and interests of the inventor(s).  We share these results with you and if it is determined that a startup is the most suitable path to commercialization, we will work with you to help connect you to the appropriate individuals to establish the company and begin to write a development plan and financing strategy for the company.  It is preferable for the faculty inventor to be partnered with an experienced entrepreneur from the particular industry space who can oversee day-to-day operations of the company, help write the development plan and raise money for the company.  An experienced entrepreneur is not always available at the stage the company is founded, so in the beginning an attorney or other affiliate of the new company can represent the company during license negotiations.

Once the company is established, the OTLIR will engage the new company to enter into good faith negotiations for an option, term sheet or license agreement to enable the company to raise money, proceed with R&D and move the product or service to the market place. The OTLIR is flexible with the types of deals structures for startups and we are willing to work within the reasonable requirements of the startup in terms of timeframes and what is required by the startup to secure financing.  Although we are open to other types of transactions, we typically enter into an option agreement with the startup which enables the startup to secure rights to the technology, and evaluate the technology, and raise money.   Options agreements may license terms, which can help in attracting investors.   

The OTLIR will help connect you to the appropriate individuals to establish your company, generate a business plan, and raise money for your new venture.  Once the company is established, we will work with the management team of the new company to negotiate a license or option to the technology.

Through our network we can help steer you in the right direction in creating a successful venture by introducing you to:

  • Business mentors and entrepreneurs
  • Legal and accounting services
  • Incubator facilities
  • Potential investors and industry partners
  • Resources for navigating conflict of interest policies
  • Resources for Business planning, market assessment & pitch preparation

The best place to start the discussion is with your case manager handling your technology:

Sean Boykevisch, Life Sciences,  632-6952 email: sean.boykevisch@stonybrook.edu

Jennifer Hsieh, Life Sciences,  632-1361 email: jennifer.hsieh@stonybrook.edu

Donna Tumminello, Physical Sciences and Engineering, 632-4163 email: donna.tumminello@stonybrook.edu

If you have not yet disclosed your invention to the OTLIR, please feel free to contact one of the case managers for information on how to disclose your technology and answer any questions about the process of commercialization. We would be happy to walk you through the process.

The royalty return policy at Stony Brook University may be found at this site. 

An Invention may be any new and useful process, machine, composition of matter, life form, article of manufacture, software, trademark, copyrighted work, or tangible research property. In order for an invention to be patentable it must be useful, it must be new and original, and it must be non-obvious.

Under your Patent Agreement (part of the Employment Agreement) with the University, you have an obligation to disclose your inventions, whether or not patentable, to OTLIR for evaluation. The development and commercialization of your invention may provide significant public benefit and generate income for research and education. A licensee of your invention may wish to sponsor research in your laboratory. Also, inventors receive a portion of net income generated by their inventions.

Once the university has decided to retain title to an invention, the inventor will be asked to provide a non-confidential marketing summary of the invention. This information allows OTLIR to market the invention through the OTLIR website and other web-based technology marketing services. 


If a faculty member starts a company with goals to commercialize his/her own inventions, he/she must disclose such inventions to OTLIR and obtain a license from the Research Foundation of SUNY before the company can initiate any commercial activities.

Yes, but if an invention has used any government sponsorship, the OTLIR is required by law to first return the title of said invention to the sponsor.  The inventor(s) may petition the sponsor for obtaining title of the invention.

Requests for release of technologies disclosed to OTLIR are reviewed case by case.  Not all technologies are suitable for release because they may constitute valuable background technologies or know-how, whether patentable or not, and may be subject under a license agreement. 

Upon proper review of all information relevant to a disclosure submitted, including conducting interview(s) with the inventors, OTLIR licensing staff shall make a decision on filing a patent application within six (6) months of receipt of a disclosure.

The disclosure will first be reviewed for completeness, and any incomplete disclosures will be returned to the inventor.  OTLIR gladly offers assistance and guidance on how to complete the disclosure form should questions arise.  Once the form is complete, it is assigned to an OTLIR case manager for evaluation. The licensing professional responsible for the case will try to find a good way to commercialize the invention for the benefit of the public while generating university income for education and research. After discussing the invention with the inventor(s), the licensing professional will first contact prospective licensees with a non-confidential description of the invention. A prospective licensee may then sign a confidentiality agreement prepared by the OTLIR in order to review confidential information about the invention, such as a scientific manuscript, drawings, working prototype, etc. If the Research Foundation of SUNY retains title to the invention, OTLIR will manage the process of patent or copyright protection, and begin the processes of marketing and licensing.  OTLIR is responsible for all patent, copyright, and licensing costs, and whenever possible, these costs are recouped through license agreements.

Information Technology Systems

You may direct your question to the appropriate individual through this staff directory.

Go to top