Proposal Submission Guide


Who can be a principal investigator/ project director (PI/PD)?

Principal Investigator (PI) Eligibility Policy

The role of a Principal Investigator (PI) carries with it full authority for the administrative, scientific, technical, and financial management of a sponsored project awarded to The Research Foundation for The State University of New York at Stony Brook University (RF).  As such, the individual associated with Stony Brook University (SBU) must be an approved representative in good standing in order to fulfill their role as an award recipient.  S/he would be primarily responsible for the design, conduct and reporting of their sponsored award and is subject to the policies and procedures dictated by SBU, RF and the sponsor.  Failure to comply with The Research Foundation’s and Stony Brook University’s policies and procedures may result in unfavorable review, denial of funding, request for clarification documentation, additional terms and conditions as well as other enforcement actions imposed by the sponsors.

This policy applies to all sponsored projects administered by RF.

To serve as Principal Investigator on a sponsored project, an individual must have a current faculty appointment. 

Titles that require no prior approval from Chair to serve as PI include: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor, Distinguished Professor, Clinical Professor, Toll Professor, Research Assistant Professor, Research Associate Professor, Research Professor, Librarian (Asst., Assoc.)

University administrators in leadership roles (e.g., Directors, position classification MC3 or higher) are also eligible to serve as Principal Investigators and must identify appropriate reporting structure.


PIs who do not hold one of the titles mentioned above will need approval during the myResearch proposal routing by their Department Chair, their Center Director, their Dean (or Dean’s designee) or the appropriate senior leadership linked to their unit designation. It is important that the appropriate PI title is selected in the application (question 2 under the Proposal Description & Contacts Smartform).

  1. Individuals holding academic appointments other than those mentioned above need approval from their Chair or authorized unit leader to serve as Principal Investigator on externally sponsored projects.  These titles include: Adjunct Professor, Lecturer, Instructor, Visiting Professor (Asst., Assoc.), Voluntary Professor (Asst., Assoc.).
  2. Employees whose primary responsibility is to carry out research but who do not have a faculty appointment (e.g., postdoctoral trainee, research associate, fellow, (senior) research scientist) are eligible to serve as PI with authorization from the Department Chair, Center Director and their Dean (or Dean’s designee) or the appropriate senior leadership of other University units.
  3. University employees who do not have a faculty appointment but who wish to serve as a PI on a grant require approval from the respective Dean/Provost. Such employees may also require OSP approval to be granted PI role in myResearch Grants.

Important notes:

  • Eligibility to serve as PI for any specific award must be in accordance with sponsor terms and conditions.
  • A faculty appointment is not required in the case of co-investigator status.
  • All proposals require approval of the Chair and/or Center Director and the Dean (or their designee) before submission to the sponsor.  These approvals acknowledge that the applicant has the necessary skills and authority to perform the proposed work, that appropriate facilities and effort will be made available by the department and school, and that project and budgetary oversight will be provided.
  • Researchers who do not have a faculty appointment at the time of proposal submission, but expect to have an appointment at the time of award, are permitted to be listed as PI if there is a written statement from the appropriate Chair or Dean, prior to submission and included in the myResearch proposal, indicating that faculty appointment will be completed by the time the award is made.  
  • Emeritus faculty must have a faculty appointment and approval of the Chair and/or Center Director to serve as PI.

Special considerations:

  • Graduate Student Applications: Campus policy requires graduate students to apply for grants under the direction of an advisor who holds a faculty appointment.   The faculty advisor is the PI/PD and the student is the co-investigator internally, even if the sponsor requires that the student be listed as PI/PD on the grant application. The title of the research will be, for example, “Fellowship Research for....(student name) the study of....,” or “Dissertation Improvement Grant for....”
  • Non-Resident Investigators: Non U.S. residents who wish to apply for funding must meet sponsor requirements as to their eligibility to serve as PI/PD.  Additionally, they must determine if their visa status will allow them to participate. To do this, the best resource available is the International Academic Programs and Services Office at 631-632-7656/4685.
  • Non-immigrant Investigators: Non-immigrants to the United States, wishing to apply for sponsor funding, must have the appropriate immigration status to participate in the proposed activity.  In cases where the sponsor requires U.S. Permanent Residence (green card) or U.S. citizenship for application these requirements must be met. In cases where Permanent Residence and /or citizenship are not sponsor requirements, please contact the Office of International Academic Programs and Services for information on obtaining the appropriate non-immigrant status for participation on a particular project. Additional information on immigrant and non-immigrant statuses in the United States may be obtained by contacting Visa and Immigration Services at 631-632-4685.
  • Outside Collaborators and PI Status:  Outside collaborators (non-SBU personnel) may not be listed as co-PIs on SBU proposals.  Outside collaborators are not SBU faculty members and do not have an on-going contractual or employment relationship with SBU. Therefore, they must be recognized in other ways in a proposal. Alternatives for working with and recognizing the key roles of faculty from other institutions include collaborative proposals, subcontracts and consultancies.

Application Guidelines: What to look for

What are the qualifications of the Principal Investigator or Project Director (PI/PD) and the institution?

  • Do you meet the qualifications to apply for the program as outlined by the sponsor?  Many sponsors have numerous programs that are applicable to project directors at a specific point of their careers.
  • If defined by the sponsor, does The Research Foundation meet the requirements to qualify?
  • If the sponsor specifies only a limited number of proposals will be accepted from a single institution, have you been approved to apply?  (Contact the Office of Research Development & Assessment at 2-9033 for more information about Institutional Nominations)

When is the application due?

  • Does the sponsor state a receipt date, postmark date, target date or electronic submission date?

    Receipt Dates: The last day the sponsor will accept proposals.

    Target Dates: Unless otherwise stated in announcements or solicitations, proposals postmarked after these “cutoff” dates will be reviewed, although they may miss a particular panel meeting or review cycle.  It is recommended that project directors contact their Program Official concerning specific target dates.

    Postmark DatesA postmark is a stamped calendar date set by the sponsor for proposals.  It is important to have your proposal stamped on or before the required postmark date.  To obtain a postmark, project directors need to bring their proposal package(s) to a local United States Post Office.  A postmark is NOT the same as a deadline; the actual postmark is the requirement of the sponsor.

    Electronic Submission Dates:  Proposal must be submitted electronically by the date and time indicated in the proposal announcement.  Attention should be paid to the time zone indicated.

    Other Types of Submission Dates: Most programs that do not have a specific deadline or target date will accept proposals at any time of the year.  If unsure, contact the sponsor for clarification.

Are there sponsor specific application forms and submission requirements?

  • Are there specific agency forms that are required by the sponsor?
  • Is the submission required to be submitted via
  • Are you using the most recent issue of application forms?
  • What is the sponsor policy regarding use of facsimiles--do they require original forms only?
  • How is the proposal assembled for mailing or electronic submission?
  • Does the PI need to be registered to use the sponsor’s electronic proposal submission site?

Are there any special budgetary considerations?

  • What kinds of costs are permitted?  What may be permitted by one sponsor may not necessarily be allowed by another.
  • How do they want the budget prepared? 
  • Are matching funds required?  Did you get approval?

Is there a specific application format?

  • Does the sponsor explain how to present the text of the proposal?
  • What are the specific areas and concerns cited by the sponsor that should be included in the text?
  • Is there a limit in the type size?  Page limits?
  • Are there specific instructions regarding margins, copying and binding?

What kinds of institutional endorsement besides that of The Research Foundation are required?

  • Additional signatures from the PI/PD, chair, dean, or compliance?

Proposal Content and Format

How do I determine what formatting guidelines to use for a proposal?

Most sponsoring agencies have specific format guidelines for preparing proposals, including the required forms for cover page, text, biographical data and budget.   IN THE ABSENCE OF SUCH GUIDELINES, the following format, including a cover/title page, abstract, table of contents, introduction/statement of need, description of proposed research, biographical sketch, current and pending, facilities and equipment, and budget, may be useful.

Cover/Title Page:

The cover or title page should include the following:

  • The title of the proposed research;
  • The name and address of the sponsor to whom the proposal is submitted;
  • The name and address of The Research Foundation for SUNY:  Office of Sponsored Programs, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY, 11794-3362;
  • The University department where the work will be conducted;
  • The proposed period of performance;
  • Total requested support;
  • Name and title of the principal investigator/project director (PI/PD);
  • Signatures of authorizing official.


While an abstract, or project summary, is not required by all sponsors, it is a highly effective means of presenting a project to a reviewer or review board.  The abstract should highlight the scope of the proposed research, including its objectives and the intended methodology, the anticipated results, a statement of potential significance, and the time span of the project.  Abstracts should be approximately 200-250 words, unless otherwise noted in the application instructions.

Keep in mind that many program directors and review panel members will not read much more than the abstract. Program directors also use abstracts to select appropriate reviewers.

Table of Contents

The table of contents should list major sections of the proposal and give the specific page location where each section begins in the narrative.  It need not include all subheadings but should be detailed enough to allow reviewers to find the section or sections of interest, without having to search through the entire proposal.

Introduction/Statement of Need

While usually brief, the proposal introduction or statement of need is one of the most important parts of the grant application.  The introduction should engage the reviewer’s attention, encouraging a full reading of the proposal.

Description of Proposed Research

The description is a detailed extension of the proposal abstract.  Indicate how the research will relate to and reflect the current state of the art.  Explain project goals and methodology carefully.  The research plan should include the project objectives, results of preliminary studies relevant to the application, procedures, and time frame.

Biographical Sketch

If no format is requested, the format of the NIH four page biographical sketch is recommended.  In its current format it includes a personal statement as well as current and pending support.  If the sponsor requests these items separately you can use the older template.

Current and Pending Support

This section should include current and pending support with the sponsor name, title of the project, your percent of effort, amount of the award and the period of support.   Some sponsors may require you to note any overlap and how it will be addressed if funded (total effort cannot exceed 100%).

Facilities and Equipment

List the facilities where the project will take place, indicating the availability of equipment and laboratory or research space. Include separate listings for all partners or sub awardees if at different locations. 

Budget and Budget Justification

Detail the direct costs and indirect costs that are being requested to conduct the project (see Budget Development for additional information).  It is important to substantiate your budget with an explanation or a budget justification.  The budget justification is used to clarify various line items such as the percentage of inflation, fringe benefits, difference in cost shared effort vs. salary requested, the type of equipment you plan to purchase, travel, etc.

Budget Development


Budgetary Considerations:

  • In completing the budget, it is necessary to review the elements of the project as well as the sponsor guidelines. 
  • It is important to be cognizant of any sponsor restrictions regarding specific budgetary allowances or disallowances (e.g., one sponsor may allow the PI to charge salary, another may not). 
  • It is important to substantiate your budget with an explanation or a budget justification. 

What are the common budgetary categories?

Salaries and Wages

All personnel are listed, along with their percentage of effort for the project, PI/PD first and students or clerical personnel last.  If the amount of salary requested does not represent the percentage of effort, an explanation should be included on the budget justification.

Clerical Staff

If you intend to include clerical staff on your budget for a federal sponsor, one of the following reasons, or one similar in nature, must be included in your justification.  These examples are not exhaustive nor are they intended to imply that charging of administrative or clerical salaries would always be appropriate for the situations illustrated:

  • Large, complex programs, such as General Clinical Research Centers, primate centers, program projects, environmental research centers, engineering research centers, and other grants and contracts that entail assembling and managing teams of investigators from a number of institutions.
  • Projects that involve extensive data accumulation, analysis and entry, surveying, tabulation, cataloging, searching literature, and reporting, such as epidemiological studies, clinical trials, and retrospective clinical records studies.
  • Projects that require making travel and meeting arrangements for large numbers of participants, such as conferences and seminars.
  • Projects where the principal focus is the preparation and production of manuals and large reports, books and monographs (excluding routine progress and technical reports).
  • Projects that are geographically inaccessible to normal departmental administrative services, such as seagoing research vessels, radio astronomy projects, and other research field sites that are remote from the campus.
  • Individual projects requiring significant amounts of project-specific database management; individualized graphics or manuscript preparation; human or animal protocol, IRB preparations and/or other project-specific regulatory protocols; and multiple project-related investigator coordination and communications.

Fringe Benefits

Unless specifically called “stipends” by the sponsor (as in most fellowships), all salaries must be accompanied by fringe benefits, whether the individuals are working full or part time on the project.  The most current fringe benefit rates can be found on the Office of Sponsored Programs website.  Please note that there are different rates for Research Foundation employees, State employees, graduate students, undergraduate students and summer only appointments.

For a student to be eligible for the student rate, the following must apply:

  • Undergraduate students must be enrolled full time at a SUNY institution and must meet the criteria for and are appointed to one of the following titles: R267 (Research Aide), R268 (Senior Research Aide).  All other undergraduate student salaries will be charged at the regular employee rate. 
  • Graduate students must be enrolled full time at a SUNY institution and must meet the criteria for and are appointed to one of the following titles: R149 (Project Instructional Assistant), R150 (Research Project Assistant), R267 (Research Aide) or R268 (Senior Research Aide).  All other graduate student salaries will be charged the regular employee rate.


Equipment is defined as having a useful life of at least one year and an acquisition cost of  $5,000 or more.  Items not meeting this definition are considered supplies.  Some sponsors may have their own definitions of equipment.  Generally, we would subscribe to the sponsor’s definition.  If you have any questions, please contact your Grants Administrator at 632-9949.


Domestic and foreign travel should be listed as two line items, unless specified otherwise by the sponsor.  The purpose of the trips, the destinations, number of travelers, number of trips and other costs should be discussed in the budget justification.   It is a requirement on federal awards to use U.S. flag carriers to foreign destinations or, in the absence of through service, to the farthest interchange point.

Participant Support Costs

For programs relating to conferences, symposia, meetings, training activities or workshops, include costs of transportation, per diem, stipends and other related costs for participants or trainees.

Patient Care Costs

Routine medical costs that would normally have taken place and are now within the scope of the research, i.e., x-rays, blood tests, EKG, travel costs associated with diagnostic testing, personnel cost for medical procedures (i.e, technician or nurse).

Alterations and Renovations

Alterations and renovations required for project performance and having a cost of $15,000 or more per alteration or renovation.

Materials and Supplies

The costs of materials or supplies needed to do the project.


The costs of disseminating and sharing research findings in the process of documenting, preparation, and publication.


List the name and daily amount for each consultant.  Any travel for the consultant is listed in this category. Some federal sponsors have established daily rates. Stony Brook faculty cannot be paid as consultants on a Stony Brook award.  They are considered collaborators. (see Section V, Consultants).

Computer Services

Costs of computer time and related support services, calculated according to an approved rate schedule for the facility concerned.


Costs for performance and completion of a designated portion of project objectives executed by an organization other than Stony Brook.  The total amount (direct and indirect costs) of the subcontractor budget are listed as direct costs on the Stony Brook budget.  The amount is to be documented by the subcontractor's institutionally endorsed letter of intent (use the Stony Brook Letter of Intent Form found on the Office of Sponsored Programs website), scope of work,  and budget with justification, which is to be included in the application. (see Section VI, Contractual/Consortium Arrangement Requirements).


Unless prohibited by sponsor policy, all proposals which budget support for a graduate student must also budget tuition costs of $4,188 for each academic year.  More information and instruction can be found on the The Graduate School website.  


This category is used for items that are not suitable for any other category.  A detailed list should be included in the budget justification.

Facility and Administrative Costs (Formerly Known as Indirect Costs)

The latest policy and rates can be found at here or call 632-9949

What are Facility and Administrative Cost, also known as IDC Cost?

F&A or IDC Costs are real costs incurred by the University/Center and Institution in support of research/sponsored activities but cannot be identified with a specific award.  The cost result from shared services such as libraries, utility costs, general departmental, unit/school and sponsored program’s administrative expenses and depreciation for buildings and equipment.

Who sets the IDC/F&A rate?

SUNY Stony Brook in conjunction with The Research Foundation of State University of New York applies each year for rate renewal and approval through its cognizant agency.  Currently SUNY Stony Brook’s cognizant agency is The Department of Health and Human Services  

How can I find a listing of SUNY Stony Brook’s current approved rates?

An up to date listing on the SUNY Stony Brook approved IDC/F&A rates are listed on this web site or you can contact your Sponsored Program representative.

What types of rates are there?

There are many different types of rates the most common are: Total Direct Cost (TDC), Modified Total Direct Cost (MTDC), Sponsor Set, Administrative, Evaluative and Testing and Other Sponsored Programs.  The most common is MTDC.

What does MTDC mean?

Modified Total Direct Cost is calculated by excluding alterations and renovations having a cost of $15,000 or more, in/out patient care, rental maintenance of off-site activities, student tuition, participant support cost (student aid, stipends, travel, etc.), amounts over the first $25,000 of each subcontract and equipment over $5,000. Most federal programs use this rate.

What is the difference between MTDC and TDC?

Total direct cost include all cost associated with a sponsored project including those items excluded in Modified Total Direct Cost  

Are these rates prorated if I am not doing all of my work on campus?

Yes, There is also a rate for work totally done off campus.  To determine the off and on campus rate, only the Stony Brook personnel effort is considered (effort on any subcontract is excluded).  After determining the amount of all effort, ascertain the effort that is only for off campus.  The effort for off campus is divided by the total effort.  The closest increment to 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% is considered as the off-campus percentage.

What is an Administrative rate used for?

Administrative rates applies to funds received in support of research or training activities where the sponsor provides the funds in advance and without further obligation on the part of the institution: no constraints on how the funds may be used, no financial or technical reporting requirements, no claims to copyright nor other claims to the ownership or licensing of intellectual properties.

This rate should also be used for:

  • Income from external sources deposited to Service and Facility Accounts and Copyright and/or licenses not flowing through the Campus Royalty distribution policy and other authorized income accounts.
  • Fellowship awards from sponsors who do not have their own policy.
  • Awards made specifically and solely for support of a conference, seminar, or workshop to be held at the Stony Brook campus.

What is an Evaluative Testing rate used for?

The Evaluative Testing rate is used for agreements with companies providing a specific company-issued protocol to be used in testing and evaluating a new or investigational device, drug, or compound that they own.  Such testing must be required to obtain or maintain federal government approval.

What is a Sponsor Set rate?

Some sponsors may have their own policy on these types of costs all.  If you run across a situation like this make sure to include documentation on the rate allowed in COEUS. 

Unless there is a written Facility and Administrative (F&A) sponsor policy, full F&A recovery must be included in your budget.  Institutional support for Facility & Administrative cost is   orchestrated in advance by the Office of the Vice President for Research, however, is fully funded by departments, chairs or deans and not by the Office of the Vice President for Research.  Efforts to waive a sponsor’s share of F&A costs to enhance competitiveness remain the fiscal responsibility of the unit(s) benefiting by the waiver.  (See Section VII, University Support)


What is the difference between an employee and a consultant/independent contractor?

The distinction between an independent contractor and employee rests upon the degree of control or right to control that the PI/PD exercises over the contractor’s physical conduct in the performance of the work or duties involved. 

If the PI/PD has NO RIGHT to control the way the result is produced, the agent is called an independent contractor.  If the PI/PD HAS THE RIGHT to control the agent’s physical conduct in the performance of the work, he or she is an employee.

The essential analysis is whether the PI/PD has the right, even though they may not wish to exercise that right, to control HOW the tasks are to be performed. 

What is “The Common Law Test”?

The Research Foundation for SUNY reviews all issues concerning the classification of Employee or Independent Contractor in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Internal Revenue Service.

The Office of Grants Management provides an Employee or Independent Contractor Test, also referred to as “The Common Law Test.”   This questionnaire gives some guidance in the determination of the employee’s or the independent contractor’s nature of work.  If you need assistance in making this determination, please contact Stephanie Ammann, Manager, Sponsored Project Expenditures, Office of Grants Management, 632-9071, or e-mail,

The federal government uses these 20 questions in analyzing the nature of the working arrangements set forth between the employer and the employee or independent contractor.

What can happen if an independent contractor is misclassified?

If the employer, The Research Foundation for SUNY, unintentionally fails to withhold income taxes for the independent contractor who should have been classified as an employee, the employer’s liability for those taxes will be determined along with penalties.

If someone, or an entity, is misclassified as an independent contractor, charges will be moved from the independent contractor category to salary & wage category on the grant; the grant will be charged for the fringe benefit rate relating to the salary & wages; and The Research Foundation, and in turn, the principal investigator/project director (PI/PD), will be responsible for any penalties resulting from misclassification.

How will a misclassification be detected?

  • IRS or NYS income tax audit
  • Individual applies for Unemployment
  • Individual applies for Disability or Worker’s Compensation
  • Individual completes and submits form SS-8 to IRS
  • Research Foundation Internal Audit

Contractual or Consortium Arrangement Requirements (aka Subcontracts)

What is a subcontract/consortium arrangement?

Performance and completion of a designated portion of project objectives executed by an organization other than Stony Brook.

What do I need to include if another organization is a subcontractor on my proposal?

The following institutionally endorsed package must be provided to the Office of Sponsored Programs prior to your proposal submission:

  • Subcontractor Letter Of Intent Form
  • Statement of Work/Scope of Work
  • Budget
  • Budget Justification

Note:  Check the sponsor guidelines for any additional sponsor required information/documentation.

What do I need if I am going to be a subcontractor on another organization’s proposal?

A complete COEUS proposal that includes the following information specific to your role on the project:

  • Statement of Work
  • Budget
  • Budget Justification

How do I set up a subcontract once I receive an award?

You will then need to complete and submit a Purchase Order to the Contracts Administrator for your department.  

University Support

How can I apply for Institutional Support?

When seeking matching funds from the OVPR, A completed, signed Research Support Request form (RSR) should be delivered to the Office of the Vice President for Research at least 30 business days before the proposal needs to be submitted.  Failure to do so will make you ineligible.

  1. A significant matching dollar commitment from the Provost, Division Dean(s) and/or Department Chair(s) must be specified in the budget page of the Research Support Request form.  Letters of endorsement from the Provost, Dean(s) and Chair(s) must accompany these commitments.

  1. Signatures of the Provost, Division Dean(s) and/or Department Chair(s) must be included on the Research Support Request form to ensure that each has reviewed the proposal with respect to divisional and/or departmental long-range planning.  The signature of the PI/PD is required

For more information on this process, contact Peter Saal at 631 632-9033.

When no OVPR funds are a part of the matching funds, a letter from the party committing matching funds (Provost, Dean, Chair, etc.) must accompany the proposal when submitted to OSP.  

myResearch Grants: The Electronic Proposal Routing and Submission System

How do I process my proposal internally for submission approval? 

Effective July 1, 2018, Stony Brook University made all proposal routing mandatory through myResearch Grants.  This system replaced both COEUS and and SUSB 798 (2- page, short form/non-COEUS form). 

myResearch is the required internal electronic system used to gather important information pertaining to a particular grant or contract submission.  Every application must be accompanied by a myResearch Grants submission that has been approved through the correct departmental routing process.

Who has access to the material that I upload to myResearch Grants?

Only people that are in your approval cycle will have access to this material.

Who is in my Approval Cycle in myResearch Grants?

The chairs, deans from all departments that have personnel included in the project are part of the approval cycle as are all the sponsored program representatives. All of these people will have access to the information uploaded to the proposal.  By requesting and receiving these approvals it enables The Research Foundation for SUNY to submit proposals for and in conjunction with the State University of New York at Stony Brook.  Also, in the event action on the request is favorable, myResearch Grants enables The Research Foundation for The SUNY to serve as fiscal administrator of the award and depository for all funds in support of such an award.

Can I submit to the sponsor directly through myResearch Grants?

Many proposals that are submitted through portals such as ASSIST, Workspace, can be submitted directly through myResearch Grants to the sponsoring organization after January 1, 2019.  It is not mandatory to submit using the System-to-System capability.

For more information on myResearch Grants and how to register and use the system please go to the myResearch web page or call your Sponsored Programs representative.

Submitting the Proposal to Sponsor

What are the internal deadlines for processing a proposal through the Office of Sponsored Programs?

It is the policy that all proposals being submitted through the Office of Sponsored Programs at SUNY Stony Brook be received five working days before the sponsor’s deadline. 

How long should it take for my proposal to go through the myResearch Grants approval process?

Check with your department for their deadline policy for myResearch Grants submissions.   A reasonable approximation would be to allow 3-5 business days for your myResearch proposal to get through the approval cycle.   During periods of multiple deadlines you may need to allow for extra time.

My sponsor requires a hard copy of the proposal.  How is that handled?

You need to adhere to the same deadlines as electronic submissions and will need to use the sponsor’s deadline date (postmarked or receipt) as your submission date.   Depending on your schedule there are different methods of mailing a proposal to a sponsor.   If you plan on using an express mail courier, The Office of Sponsored Programs needs a completed mailing slip from the courier of your choice.   Currently, only Federal Express and UPS pick up in the OSP office.   If you are using a different mail courier you will be responsible to make arrangements for pickup. 

Special Grant Types/ Award Transfers


What is an Equipment Grant?

Some Federal Sponsors offer funding for the purposes of specialized pieces of equipment.  Often, equipment grants incorporate more than one user, more than one department, and even more than one institution.  There is often a “funding range” for proposals.  Sometimes, specific directorates of federal agencies will cooperate with other federal agencies or directorates within the same agency to fund the acquisition of certain equipment.

Specific options and information concerning equipment grants can be explored by contacting Peter Saal in the Research Development & Assessment Office (632-9033). 

What are National Research Service Awards?

The Congress of the United States established the National Research Service Award (NRSA) Program in 1974 to “increase the capability of the institutes of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA) to carry out their responsibility of maintaining a superior national program of research into the physical and mental diseases and impairments of man,” (Public Law 93-348).  The Congress felt that the success of the Federal research effort depended on the availability of excellent scientists.  Two of the mechanisms established to ensure this goal were direct training support through individual and institutional NRSAs.  Congress extended the authority to make NRSAs to the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (AHCPR) in 1985.

What is the difference between an Institutional NRSA and an Individual NRSA?

Institutional NRSAs support a research training program at a specific domestic public or non-profit institution in a specified area(s) of research.  Individual NRSAs support an individual predoctoral, postdoctoral or senior level fellow in a targeted area of research.


Who is appointed to Institutional NRSAs?

The individuals appointed to a research training program are termed as Trainees.  Appointments to the program are available at the predoctoral and postdoctoral levels with “other” positions available for the support of the program. 

What type of support does an Institutional NRSA provide?

Institutional NRSA support includes: stipends, tuition, fees and insurance, trainee travel and other training-related expenses.

How do I apply for an Institutional NRSA?

In order to apply for an Institutional NRSA, you must have a specific Research Training Plan.  At the application stage, the proposed project director/principal investigator proposes the plan, direction, available faculty, proposed training and trainee candidates, along with a budget for the program.


Who is awarded Individual NRSAs?

Individuals who receive Individual NRSAs are called fellows.  Individual NRSAs are available at the predoctoral, postdoctoral, and senior levels.  Predoctoral fellowships are available from NIH.  ADAMHA, AHCPR, and NIH support postdoctoral fellowships.  Senior fellowships are available only at NIH.

What type of support does an Individual NRSA provide?

NRSA fellowships awards are “fixed”.  The budgets are based on a formula or determined at the time of the award by the awarding institute.  (Exception being Senior fellowships which are based upon experience and salary information provided by the applicant.)

What do I need to do if I am transferring my grants to Stony Brook from my old institution?

New faculty members transferring their awards from their prior institution to The Research Foundation for SUNY at Stony Brook University are encouraged to talk to Sponsored Programs as early as possible.  The process for transferring grants generally takes about three months.

The Office of Sponsored Programs will require a transfer proposal that will need to be processed through the campus COEUS electronic proposal routing system.  The COEUS application could include the following documents:

  • New face page
  • Revised budget for funds to be transferred to Stony Brook campus
  • Update on progress
  • Biographical sketch and current/pending support for any new key personnel
  • Completed relinquishing statement signed by prior institution
  • Required internal forms (Conflict of Interest Disclosure for all Stony Brook faculty and the COEUS Proposal Form).  Forms can be found on the Office of Sponsored Programs website.

Note:  the exact forms and timing of filing will depend on the sponsor. 

Whom to Contact


Who do I contact for?

  • My Account balance? OGM at 631 632-1953
  • Access to PIAI? Research Informatics at 631 632-9840
  • Access to COEUS? OSP at 631 632-4402
  • IRB Status? Compliance at 631 632-9036
  • Information on Clinical Trials? OSP at 631 632-4402
  • Pending Payments from a grant award? OGM at 631 632-1953
  • Information on NY State Contracts? OSP at 631 632-4402
  • Award and Project Numbers? AEU at 631 632-4402
  • Royalty or Licensing issue? Tech Transfer at 631 632-9009
  • Copy of the latest grant forms? OSP at 631 632-4402

Sponsored Programs
Phone: 631-632-4402
Go to top