Proposal Submission Guide


Special Grant Types/ Award Transfers


What is an Equipment Grant?

Some Federal Sponsors offer funding for the purposes of specialized pieces of equipment.  Often, equipment grants incorporate more than one user, more than one department, and even more than one institution.  There is often a “funding range” for proposals.  Sometimes, specific directorates of federal agencies will cooperate with other federal agencies or directorates within the same agency to fund the acquisition of certain equipment.

Specific options and information concerning equipment grants can be explored by contacting Peter Saal in the Research Development & Assessment Office (632-9033). 

What are National Research Service Awards?

The Congress of the United States established the National Research Service Award (NRSA) Program in 1974 to “increase the capability of the institutes of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA) to carry out their responsibility of maintaining a superior national program of research into the physical and mental diseases and impairments of man,” (Public Law 93-348).  The Congress felt that the success of the Federal research effort depended on the availability of excellent scientists.  Two of the mechanisms established to ensure this goal were direct training support through individual and institutional NRSAs.  Congress extended the authority to make NRSAs to the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (AHCPR) in 1985.

What is the difference between an Institutional NRSA and an Individual NRSA?

Institutional NRSAs support a research training program at a specific domestic public or non-profit institution in a specified area(s) of research.  Individual NRSAs support an individual predoctoral, postdoctoral or senior level fellow in a targeted area of research.


Who is appointed to Institutional NRSAs?

The individuals appointed to a research training program are termed as Trainees.  Appointments to the program are available at the predoctoral and postdoctoral levels with “other” positions available for the support of the program. 

What type of support does an Institutional NRSA provide?

Institutional NRSA support includes: stipends, tuition, fees and insurance, trainee travel and other training-related expenses.

How do I apply for an Institutional NRSA?

In order to apply for an Institutional NRSA, you must have a specific Research Training Plan.  At the application stage, the proposed project director/principal investigator proposes the plan, direction, available faculty, proposed training and trainee candidates, along with a budget for the program.


Who is awarded Individual NRSAs?

Individuals who receive Individual NRSAs are called fellows.  Individual NRSAs are available at the predoctoral, postdoctoral, and senior levels.  Predoctoral fellowships are available from NIH.  ADAMHA, AHCPR, and NIH support postdoctoral fellowships.  Senior fellowships are available only at NIH.

What type of support does an Individual NRSA provide?

NRSA fellowships awards are “fixed”.  The budgets are based on a formula or determined at the time of the award by the awarding institute.  (Exception being Senior fellowships which are based upon experience and salary information provided by the applicant.)

What do I need to do if I am transferring my grants to Stony Brook from my old institution?

New faculty members transferring their awards from their prior institution to The Research Foundation for SUNY at Stony Brook University are encouraged to talk to Sponsored Programs as early as possible.  The process for transferring grants generally takes about three months.

The Office of Sponsored Programs will require a transfer proposal that will need to be processed through the campus COEUS electronic proposal routing system.  The COEUS application could include the following documents:

  • New face page
  • Revised budget for funds to be transferred to Stony Brook campus
  • Update on progress
  • Biographical sketch and current/pending support for any new key personnel
  • Completed relinquishing statement signed by prior institution
  • Required internal forms (Conflict of Interest Disclosure for all Stony Brook faculty and the COEUS Proposal Form).  Forms can be found on the Office of Sponsored Programs website.

Note:  the exact forms and timing of filing will depend on the sponsor. 

Go to top